Thank you from you winner, Laura

Hi!

lauratobin-wThank you so much for a fantastic fortnight of questions and chats. I really enjoyed my time on I’m an Engineer Get Me out of Here! I honestly cannot believe that I won! 🙂 I was really honoured to have participated along with some brilliant engineers, Catherine, John, Ray and Ashley.
I loved chatting to you guys about what I do as an engineer and I hope you found it interesting. I really hope that I’ve shown that engineering isn’t just for men and that there are many different types of engineering.

If you guys take away just one message from me, it’s that there are many different routes in to engineering (or any area) and to never give up if that’s what you want – go for it! I didn’t get my first choice of engineering in the Leaving Cert, but I managed to end up working in engineering. I took the scenic route as I like to call it and I learned a lot about myself and what I wanted in life. I have absolutely no regrets and I love working in engineering. Very few people know exactly what they want to do with the rest of their life at 17/18, so don’t be too disappointed if you don’t get what you want first time around, think of it as an opportunity.

Now with my prize money I can start creating my “Lighthouse” project for next year. The timing is perfect, the UN has declared 2015 the International Year of Light (IYL) and this Lighthouse will show you how amazing light is and how we need it for our everyday life. This Lighthouse will be a mobile pop-up darkroom. It’ll be a marquee with blackout curtains and lots of interesting optical experiments and illusions inside. The problem is that the cool optical experiments that we can do requires darkness. For example, it’s very hard to see lasers in daylight. It’ll be like a House of Horrors but without the scary stuff, just really amazing light experiments, tricks and optical illusions. I hope to have the Lighthouse tour all around the country throughout 2015 and beyond.

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this happen. Hopefully I’ll see you at the Lighthouse in 2015!

Posted on December 5, 2014 by modangela in News. Leave a comment